Yes stop often to refuel with Spritz, a Venice quintessential cocktail and the cicchetti, local tapas bites made from fresh seasonal ingredients.
3. Stop to admire the rainbow of produce at the Rialto markets.
4. Stop to enjoy a picnic on the banks of the Grand Canal
5. Stop to enjoy the sun6. Stop and sneak into an out-of-the-way restaurant
Choose places out of the big streets, avoid those with menus written in 10 different languages and with waiters that are outside inviting you in. Find place with locals inside and gondoliers and listen to what the locals order, and then ask for the same thing, in Italian. You will never have a bad meal and never pay too much.
7. Enjoy getting lost in the maze of narrow streets and alleys
Venice is an Island so you can never get too far. You've never been there before so every corner is new for you. Get lost and rejoice when you start finding your way without the use of a map.
8. Make sure to watch the night fall over the city
When the night fall Venice become even more magical, there is something unique and mysterious about Venice. A charm that cannot be described but needs to be felt. You will find yourself fall in love with the city, then and there.
9. Make sure to hop on a short ferryboat ride and see Murano10. End you day with a stroll through St. Mark’s Place past midnight
Early in the morning or late at night, when all the tourists are gone and all the locals are home, that's what I love the most of my hometown. It's then that you will feel the ethereal beauty and feel like the city is yours, only your for the night.